Friday, September 3, 2021

The Evil that is us.

 I've been bothered for a long time by  the behaviour of the west. And bothered that we don't recognize how evil we are. And, yes, evil means the U.S., Britain and Canada.

Historically, we've usually cheered for the evil ones.

China, for example was under British control for a hundred years. In that time the British plundered and abused  and impoverished the Chinese. The British loved their years of murdering, enslaving the people of China.

And when people speak of  the filth and poverty of China, they are speaking of the damage that They (the British) have done, of the horrible housing, of the slums. (That brings us to a woman who wrote to me that I was ignorant of China's dreadful housing today. In fact, China has done a marvelous job, perhaps the best of any country in the world. In China, you won't see millions living in filth and hunger as in the U.S. And you will now see a world class education system.)

Of  course that's not the way our news media see it. In their view, it's a backward and poverty stricken country. And that's commonly the report we get from British, American and Canadian political visitors (snobs). One of them   (from New Brunswick) wrote a vicious letter to me about how terrible conditions are. That's a common  opinion of arrogant westerners.  I came to know the type well among the British in Hong Kong. (And a foul sample of the type in New Brunswick who wrote an angry letter to me about how evil the Chinese are.)

In reality, China has made tremendous progress,especially since 1975. And the U.S. has not. Yes, China has done things I don't like. But it's nothing even close to western standard of murder and greed and lies.

I don't know what Chinese news media are like. But I know what American and Canadian and western news media are. They are lying propaganda.

One day, late in the 1990s, I learned that U.S. special forces (hired thugs) in Latin America and led by George Bush sr. had been murdering Latin American Christian clergy - priests, nuns and missionairies back in the 70s. It had never made the news in Canada and the U.S.

One of their victims was a missionary born in the same New Brunswick town as the Irvings.

No American or Canadian newspaper has ever carried that story. And, that includes, of course, the Irving newspapers.

We are lied to every day in our commercial news media. They have been lying to us every day since at least the 1870s. And, Yes, that's a stain that goes all  the way up to the New York Times.

_________________________________________________________________

No. Even as I write this, I'm thinking of a brutal and savage world we live in, and that we don't talk about openly - though we are are in danger of the greed of those who have power over us. It's not new. But it has reached a terrifying peak that began in World War Two.

Democracy has completely collapsed in the U.S. And it's not as healthy as it should be in Canada.This is very ugly stuff. But we have to recognize that it's happening.

I really don't like to talk about this because almost all of us are victims.

But we have to deal with reality.

_________________________________________________________________                                 





No comments:

Post a Comment