When I began this blog many years ago - and until recently - it had a huge audience over much of the world. Canadians were small potatoes. But that audience became quite different just a couple of months ago. I ceased to be international, and even as a Canadian site,it is read only by a small number of Canadians.
Until a short time ago, it featured world news, including the pictures and columns that appeared with it. Then that, somehow, disappeared. Makes a guy think, sort of...
....but it took quite a while to make me think.
So for a start, I've contacted a computer repair place to find out how to get these pictures and stories back on to my blog to make it more colourful and more interesting.
I'll also be paying more attention to the concepts of capitalism and communism. I'm not pushing eiither of them - but looking forward to being more realistic about them.
When I was teaching in Hong Kong, I was astonished at the poverty and misery of much of the population. I got to know the governor's right hand man (we were related by marriage) who had nothing but contempt for the people. At night, I looked down miles of streets lined with cardboard that whole families slept on. These were home. I saw elderly men sleeping in parks in wire cages, each cage just high enough to roll into. Looking out hotel window, I could see children playing on an unfenced roof tops
. They lived in dreadful and unsanitary shanties built on the roof top. (no toilets, no nothing.) That was capitalism at work.
When I was up in communist Biejing, I saw scenes much like that. More recently, the pictures of Beijing show stunning progress.Housing, good housing, is universally available at low prices in communist China. Chinese schools and universities are world class.
We are raised to a belief that capitalism is good; communism is bad. Well, there are no people sleeping in the streets in communist Beijing. But in capitalist U.S. and Canada, millions sleep in the streets. I'd like to find some time learning about things I find curious. Why do we think capitalism is good and communism evil?
Capitalism has been the major cause of both world wars. Capitalism has murdered and enslaved all over Latin America and Africa. British capitalists for over a hundred and fifty years murdered and plundered China. In fact, almost all wars since 1800 have been capitalist. (Don't bother asking Canadians or Americans about this. Very few have any idea what the word means.)
Oh, I know. Capitalism is good. That's why we kill people who aren't capitalists.
_________________________________________________________________
To sum up, I'm now arranging to get help from pros on how to make my site more satisfying and attractive, to open myself up to a wider understanding. And hoping to get that done soon.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment