Tuesday, March 26, 2019

March 26:not a good day

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/lisa-thompson-metro-morning-class-sizes-1.5069114

I have taught at the elementary and high school levels. I have taught oversized (more than  30 students) classes. To suggest these are more effective in any way is idiocy. But it is a good way  to fire teachers and cut school budgets.

I grew up and went to school in a very poor district. It was a district in which nobody finished high school. (I was kicked out in grade eleven. And that made me the big success story of my district.) One of the great problems, perhaps the greatest, facing schools is the failure rate of kids who live in poverty. They aren't stupid. But they grow up in an atmosphere that encourages ignorance. That is the challenge facing our schools. And we won't meet it with larger classes. Indeed, we need a serious rethinking of education and how to deal with this problem that blights the lives of millions of children - and which deprives Canada of intellectually skilled people.

Instead of educated children, we get spoiled louts like premier Ford of Ontario who wants to cut education budgets so he can lower taxes on those poor rich people.

I often spoke at private schools for rich kids. I noted that their class sizes were small. I guess rich kids don't need to be resilient.
_________________________________________________________________

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tasker-ottawa-gun-control-pressure-1.5070589

We are living in a far more violent world - even here at home. And it's going to get a lot worse as much of the world destabilizes - providing a breeding ground for hate-killings. The only possible use for semi-automatic rifles is for killing gatherings of people in, say, mosques - or churches - or theatres....

There is not the slightest possibility that the U.S. will ban personal weapons.  What will Canada do? I am not optimistic.
_______________________________________________________________

I am surprised by the meager news coming out of Venezuela. When I heard of the Russian landing of troops,  I took me hours to track down stories about it. I wondered how this could be. Russian troops had landed - with a supply of missiles - in the heart of the American empire. Our news media didn't think this was important?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/26/venezuela-call-for-calm-amid-blackouts-and-anti-maduro-protests

This opens the possibility of a Russian clash with the U.S. - though I suspect the U.S. will not be eager for that.

Another possibility is that it means a permanent Russian presence in Venezuela with full control of one of the world's biggest oil fields - and with American oil barons sitting outside and looking on. Indeed, a permanent Russian presence in Venezuela could mean a widening Russian influence in a Latin America which has every reason to hate the U.S. for mass murder, starvation wages, and more than century of American abuse.

So how come we aren't getting more news coverage?
_________________________________________________________________

Oh, some years ago when I was teaching in The Netherlands, I saw this statue.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/26/manneken-pis-statue-no-longer-peeing-water-down-drain

I was shocked, shocked I tell you...
________________________________________________________________

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/24/mueller-report-trump-collusion-corruption-congress-democrats
_____________________________________________________________

What is populism? It's the political exploitation or our fears. It's a technique that has no answers to problems,  but which pulls in the voters by playing on their hatreds. Thus the Mexico border wall.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/wanganui-chronicle/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503423&objectid=12168595
_________________________________________________________________

Populism.

https://www.thenation.com/article/dilley-texas-immigration-detention/
_________________________________________________________________
Who woulda thunk it from The Washington Post!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/it-is-long-past-time-for-a-national-reckoning-with-the-catastrophic-costs-of-endless-war/2019/03/25/0dd548d2-4f22-11e9-a3f7-78b7525a8d5f_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e7644a530caf
________________________________________________________________

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/03/25/simple-laws-economics-doom-remaining-us-coal-plants-solar-and-wind-are-now-cheaper
_______________________________________________________________

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/03/25/akin-tripwire-russian-troops-venezuela-complicate-us-regime-change-plans

This is one of the few articles I have found that deals with the possible meanings of the Russian intervention in Venezuela.
_______________________________________________________________

https://countercurrents.org/2019/03/26/venezuela-resisting-roundup-7/
_________________________________________________________________

https://countercurrents.org/2019/03/26/la-rinconada-the-devils-paradise/
_________________________________________________________________

https://countercurrents.org/2019/03/26/hope-for-ukrainians-at-last/
_________________________________________________________________

Sometimes, normal speech becomes impossible.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/51328.htm
_________________________________________________________________

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/51313.htm

As in the British Empire before it, the American Imperalists believe that God intends them to rule the world. Thus the strong support for Trump in the U.S. Bible Belt.

The British woke up to reality soon after 1939. But the U.S., bolstered by its religiously fundamentalist murderers,  still has tremendous destructive power. And  it  has recently been increasing that power at enormous cost. But that comes with an enormous deficit of some 27 trillion dollars. So the big bang can't be delayed much longer.
________________________________________________________________

http://www.medialens.org/index.php/alerts/alert-archive/2019/898-the-destruction-of-freedom-chelsea-manning-julian-assange-and-the-corporate-media.html
_______________________________________________________________

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/03/26/news/lobbied-22-times-trudeau-government-proposes-let-alton-gas-dump-saltwater
______________________________________________________________

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/03/25/news/conservatives-embrace-populism-rage-trudeau-talk-separation-annual-gathering

Canada's Donald Trump. Wanna swap?
____________________________________________________________

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/03/24/news/exxons-climate-denial-set-face-first-public-scrutiny-legal-woes-mount
________________________________________________________________

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/03/21/news/oil-and-gas-majors-have-spent-1-billion-undermining-climate-action-2015-report-says

Who woulda thought it?
______________________________________________________________

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/doomsday-vault-seeds-climate-change/
_______________________________________________________________

https://off-guardian.org/2019/03/24/three-days-of-infamy/
_______________________________________________________________

https://truthout.org/articles/trumps-budget-would-deny-food-to-400000-children-and-pregnant-people/
________________________________________________________________

As soon as I have time, I'm going to see if it's possible to create a graph of Christian support for Trump. My guess is that it's made up largely of fundamentalist  evangelicals whose only religious interest is getting themselves into heaven. I have often noticed that such people don't give much of a damn of Christian principles of behaviour.  You just get  yourself into heaven, and the hell with the rest.





No comments:

Post a Comment