I can't keep up with this. That's why this is my second extension of the May 30 blog on the U.S. riots.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/31/george-floyd-protests-reporters-targeted-by-police-and-crowds
Besides France, there are protests in Britain. And in Montreal, the city I lived most of my life in, there are demonstrations planned for today.
It's hard to know what is causing all this. Britain has never been friendly to Blacks. Montreal has a long history of open discrimination and persecution. For most of the hockey history of Montreal, only one Black has ever been permitted to play for the Montreal Canadiens. And Montreal has always forced Blacks to live in ghettos and, until recently, has never permitted them to hold most jobs.
I don't know why Montreal, Britain and France have suddenly become egalitarians. Nor do I quite understand this sudden support of Blacks in the U.S. In all cases, this comes after a many centuries long abuse and discrimination against Blacks. And I suspect that many of the white demonstrators don't understand it either.
This is a huge change in attitude for those millions who have a long history of racism. I'm glad to see it. But I 'm wondering what it's really all about. (If I were an American billionaire, I'd be getting worried right now.)
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/31/george-floyd-protests-reporters-targeted-by-police-and-crowds
Besides France, there are protests in Britain. And in Montreal, the city I lived most of my life in, there are demonstrations planned for today.
It's hard to know what is causing all this. Britain has never been friendly to Blacks. Montreal has a long history of open discrimination and persecution. For most of the hockey history of Montreal, only one Black has ever been permitted to play for the Montreal Canadiens. And Montreal has always forced Blacks to live in ghettos and, until recently, has never permitted them to hold most jobs.
I don't know why Montreal, Britain and France have suddenly become egalitarians. Nor do I quite understand this sudden support of Blacks in the U.S. In all cases, this comes after a many centuries long abuse and discrimination against Blacks. And I suspect that many of the white demonstrators don't understand it either.
This is a huge change in attitude for those millions who have a long history of racism. I'm glad to see it. But I 'm wondering what it's really all about. (If I were an American billionaire, I'd be getting worried right now.)
No comments:
Post a Comment