Wednesday, March 9, 2011

March 9: L'Acadie Nouvelle

Since I get most of my news from the web, the only paper in New Brunswick I have read on a regular basis - with a sort of fascinated horror - is the Times and Tribune. But, today, I took the time to look through L'Acadie Nouvelle.

This is one, fine paper. It's not just that it reports news honestly, and writes editorials intelligently -and does both very well, indeed. .  But even better, as I read page after page, I got a strong sense of a real Acadian community - a community with social attachments, with awareness, with purpose for the common good, and with ambition.  I also got a strong sense that here was a newspaper that had respect for its readers.

In reading The Moncton Times and Transcript, I get no sense at all of an English-speaking community anywhere in New Brunswick. The sense I get is that there are no shared values or aspirations, that the Moncton Times has nothing but contempt for its readers. It sees them as a rabble of morons, much as the later emperors of Rome saw what we still refer to as the Roman "mob".. Like the emperors, it encourages triviality and ignorance. It treats its readers as lower creatures whose only purpose  is to be manipulated and wrung dry by the corporate aristocracy of New Brunswick.

That makes iti pretty much like most of the newspapers in the Maritimes and, indeed, across Canada and the U.S.

Acadians have a newspaper that respects them. New Brunswick anglos have newspapers that are Judas goats.

This is an attractive city full of people who could accomplish a great deal. But English-speaking ones are being sold out by their own major source of news and insight.

Pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment