Thursday, March 17, 2011

March 16: columns tied - one good and one bad.

I should explain where I started from on the issue of feminism.

When I became a university teacher, the feminist move was past the trot and moving to the charge among women professors. I was on their side though, truth to tell, I found them more than a little self-righteous.

One year, when I was department chairman, I had a senior (male) professor who, despite repeated warnings, bullied a young secretary into a nervour breakdown, pretty effectively destroying her life. I demanded  the dean (a woman and an ardent feminist) discipline the professor severely, and that the secretary be offered all help and support possible.

What I got was endless hearings and meetings that went on with no action for months. As it went on, I wondered, "Where the hell are all those feminists who  had been swaggering the halls for the last dozen years?" Then I realized a truth that should have been obvious. When they spoke of feminine equality, they meant it for feminist professors, not for the lower classes like secretaries.

The bad column on the subject today is at the bottom of the editorial page. It's from Troy Media, of course. The only women the writer (Catherine Ford)   appears to know are career women like herself. (She also trumpets her concern for third world women - of whom she seems to know none at all.) But that's okay. They're far away, so she can just send the odd donation, and feel good playing fairy godmother.

For contrast, turn to a superb column on the next page by Elsie Hambrook. She points out that for a great many women right here in Canada, the feminist crusade did nothing at all - notably nothing for women who were native peoples or poor or victims within the criminal world. Elsie Hambrook shows an awareness of all women, and what it is they have to deal with.

The Troy Media writer, like so many womren professors I worked with knows only her own, seemingly priviliged, class.

Elsie Hambrook is worth following.

Troy Media is just schlock.

1 comment:

  1. Catherine Ford has always wanted to be a man anyway, I think. She's been around for a long time and has always been part of the "elite."
    I suspect Hambrook speaks for a heck of a lot more women than Ford ever will.

    ReplyDelete